Terms and Conditions for Charwell Proof Plus
- Please see my website for a description of the services offered.
- I will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by you, the Client. If this is by email, this counts as a written contract.
- I am freelance, self-employed, and responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions. I will not claim employee benefits from your company.
- I am not currently required to be registered for VAT, so this is not added to my invoices.
- The Client will pay me a fee per hour or per printed page or an agreed flat fee for the job.
- I may offer a free, no-obligation two-page sample of a longer work (over 30 pages) at my discretion, or may discount the final bill instead. This is only available the first time I work with a new Client.
- I will provide an estimate of the final cost of the work but may need to charge more if it takes longer than anticipated, based on my estimation and experience, unless a flat fee has been agreed in advance. If it takes less time than anticipated I will charge a correspondingly lower amount.
- The estimate will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by you, the Client.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee.
- If, however, upon receipt of the item to be worked on, or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by you the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- No guarantees are made that my intervention will ensure that a document will be accepted for publication or that the Client will pass a particular examination or degree course.
- No document or website can be guaranteed as error free.
- I may charge my hourly rate for discussions to talk about your book/project, plus travel expenses. Such discussions include face to face, by email or other electronic method, and by phone.
- Any content created by me will become the copyright of the Client after you have paid my invoice.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- I guarantee that any work that I subcontract out on your behalf will be completed to the same standard, schedule and budget and with the same conditions of confidentiality.
- In the unlikely event that you find my work to be unsatisfactory, I will rectify it in my own time.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of my invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998.
- I can cancel the contract at any time and refund any unearned portion of the deposit.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, we may both keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either party may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- If I have made a substantial contribution to the copy-editing/proofreading/project management of a book, brochure or pamphlet, I will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
- If I am required to work evenings or weekends to meet your deadline, I will add on a £4 per hour surcharge.
- I reserve the right to charge interest on late payments.
- I may use your name (and logo and cover image of your book, if relevant) in my promotional material. If you wish me not to, please tell me.
- You undertake not to make changes to the document after you have sent it to me. If I am required to start again, I will add the extra time onto the quoted cost of the project and may re-negotiate the deadline.
- You promise that you have obtained the rights and permissions to include any images or quoted material that you want included in your book/website/project.
- You promise that you are the author or co-author and sole owner of all rights to all submitted material. You accept that any material that I discover to be unoriginal (plagiarised) will not be edited or returned.
- I would very much appreciate Sarah Smith of Charwell Proof Plus being acknowledged as editor of your work. However, you may not do this unless I have received the whole version for approval before publication, including acknowledgements and cover blurb.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales [or Scots or Northern Ireland law, as appropriate], and both Freelance and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh [or Scots or Northern Ireland] courts.
Signed by Sarah Smith of Charwell Proof Plus: _____________________________________________
Name: Sarah Smith_________________________________________________________________________
Signed on behalf of the Client: _____________________________________________________________
Terms and Conditions were updated August 2018.